Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Iced in?

It's been a snowy, icy, cold mess the past few days here in the Eastern Panhandle of Wild, Wonderful West Virginia. I headed to school yesterday, only to find that my little Cobalt and the snow do not have a good relationship. I didn't want to be that asshole who only lives a mile from campus and doesn't show in bad weather, though. So I slip-n-slid all the way into town, into a parking spot and ice skated to class. Every year I tell myself I'll invest in some snow boots, and then I don't. Birkenstock clogs make for very wet heels. 

Brit lit was a pretty terrible experience, so I stopped in to Mellow Moods for the sweet nectar cure to a bad day--a berry buzz smoothie and a blueberry bagel--complete with a conversation with Phil, the owner. We talked about trains, organic farms and Shepherdstown's need for more sidewalks so I can ride my bike into town without risking my life. I told him he made me feel a lot better and he told me, "that's what Mellow Moods is all about," and I told him to stay safe in the snow. 

I found a new nook in the library, which remains a secret because I don't want any one stealing it the way they steal my other hiding spots. This spot comes equipped with its own outlets and such things, and it's darker than the rest of the library. Prime napping, indeed. 

During my women in arts and lit class, the entire class got the text that school should be closing immediately. At the end of the lecture, I slip-n-slid back home because the Lost Dog was closing early due to the weather. I did some homework and fell asleep early. 

No school today and I wouldn't have had it anyway. I'm pretty useless when it comes to snow. I blame it on my North Carolinian upbringing, even though I've been back in the mid-Atlantic region since I was 12. Luckily, my roommate purchased a shovel and boyfriend cleared off my car so I don't flip out trying to drive back to campus tomorrow. I've spent the day with the Lilliputians and need to start reading the pop cultural feminist blah blah criticism for my abstract due Tuesday. 

Oh, and did you know frozen chicken pot pies take an hour to cook? This better be good. 

If not, my roommate is making red velvet cupcakes! YUMMM! 

Are you bored? I'm done. Back to Lilliput! 

6 comments:

Maxie said...

I had the day off today too. It was seriously so shitty out... I probably would have bailed even if the office had been open.

Andhari said...

snow day and cupcakes, that would make up from so much cold dont you think?:)

.bethany. said...

@Maxie Absolutely! I felt the overwhelming NEED for a chicken pot pie and ventured out last night...and definitely shouldn't have. My stupid neighborhood isn't plowed. Stupid stupid stupid.

@insomniaclolita You're right...I complain and complain, but it wouldn't be winter without this mess. :)

Andhari said...

hahaha yeah, btw I tagged you in my 25 things post, come check it when you can :)

So@24 said...

Almost heaven...
West Virginia...

.bethany. said...

@So@24...Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River! :)

@insomniaclolita A bunch of my friends did that one on Facebook...keep watch, I'll post something here sometime this weekend!