Friday, March 20, 2009

Buh...wedding bells.

So, I was just reading about bridesmaid etiquette. I found a blog blasting a poor bridesmaid who had to travel to the wedding and all other wedding stuff, in addition to the necessary gifts and the dress, who didn't go to the bridal shower because of the travel expenses. 

This weekend, I am attending my first bridal shower in my first experience being a bridesmaid. I bought a very expensive gift, and am paying another friend for gas who is driving down. Not to mention, it's on Sunday, and we're going down Saturday night and getting back late Sunday right before school starts after spring break. I got another invitation to her second bridal shower today, and after reading that blog, I'm nervous about declining. 

It's yet again on a Sunday which is really inconvenient when you're in school and the shower is four hours away. I also worry I'd be expected to buy another gift, which after the first gift really isn't in the cards, and it'll be getting close to finals time and I already know I have a bunch of school things due that week. I'm already skipping a day of classes for the wedding preparations the week before finals (which I hate doing, I skipped a grand total of five classes ever in the four years of my undergraduate career), and I know another weekend away will probably destroy me. 

But, after what these people are saying, I'd feel like the world's worst bridesmaid if I didn't go. I mean, no one asked me to support either of these showers financially, or help plan, for that matter. But, is it really selfish to not go if you are a part of the wedding party? 

If so, this whole introduction to being "twenty-something" just took on a whole different financial and time obligation. This is wedding one of two that I'm in this year, and it seems like everyone these days is putting a ring on it, or getting a ring put on, and since I know I won't have a ring on it for a while, these favors and monetary obligations are a long time coming in return. 

Would it be too much to ask people to just refrain from getting married and asking for lavish gifts and dresses and things until the recession is cleared up? Do I need to go to this shower? If I do go, do I need to purchase a second gift? Should I have three birthday parties this year to get the favors returned? (The answer to the last question should be an obvious yes)

Anyone out there with a Heigel-esque closet, please feel free to comment. Or...anyone really. Halp. 

1 comment:

Maxie said...

The way I look at it is I only want to be a bridesmaid for people I like and people I like wouldn't make me do anything shitty. Even if they asked me too they'd understand if i couldn't. If a bride ever blasted me for not doing my "duties" i'd just quit the wedding and tell her to shove it, LOL